Te Kura offers a wide range of courses for eligible dual-registered students who are attending another school, Alternative Education or Teen Parent Unit.
Most of our courses are delivered online, so students will require access to a suitable device and internet connection.
In our experience, dual students are more likely to succeed when the enrolling school appoints a school coordinator who is responsible for coordinating registrations, ensuring students have access to the resources they need and arranging supervision and student support. Students achieve their learning goals when this is in place in their face-to-face school, when work is submitted regularly for assessment and when there is good communication with Te Kura subject teachers.
To remain on our roll, the Ministry of Education requires each student to submit assessable work at least once a month for each subject the dual student is enrolled in.
Is Te Kura the best option?
Distance learning doesn’t suit every student. When determining whether or not Te Kura is the best option for your student, you should consider the following.
- Does the student have access to the technology and any equipment necessary to complete the course?
- Does the student have a good understanding of how study with Te Kura works and the requirement to return work regularly for assessment by the teacher? (Our pre-enrolment questionnaire will help you with this.)
- Does the student have a good record of completing homework and meeting deadlines?
- Is the student self-motivated and able to work independently while under supervision?
- Has the student’s parent or guardian given consent for their student to be registered with Te Kura?